The Philosophical Educator Level 3 Course:
Advancing Theory and Practice of P4C
Explore the philosophical foundations of P4C and become an advanced facilitator
'It's an amazing course to get you thinking about your philosophy as an educator and also to deepen your knowledge of what you are aiming to achieve as a facilitator in P4C.'
SAPERE Level 3 Delegate, 2019
Do you want to understand more about the philosophy behind P4C to develop your practice? Do you have experience of leading P4C in your school or organisation? Are you considering becoming a SAPERE trainer?
Aims and objectives
The Philosophical Educator course aims to help you develop advanced knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the theory and practice of P4C. Working together to generate critical engagement with, and reflection on, some of P4C’s central concepts, concerns and practices, the course will help you become better equipped to:
- practise advanced P4C
- advocate for P4C
- contribute to the development of the practice
- progress towards SAPERE’s Level 1 trainer pathway
The course is in three phases:
- preparation: online introductions, readings and commenting over three months before the face-to-face (enquiry) phase
- enquiry: three-day residential enquiry on the six topics
- review: reflective assignment writing
The course is divided into six topic areas that will structure the reading, teaching, learning and reflection:
- ethics in/of P4C
- politics in/of P4C
- childhood and P4C
- language and knowledge in P4C
- experience and the aesthetic response in P4C
- pedagogy in/of P4C
Testimonials from course delegates, 2019
'The training was the best training I have completed for a very long time. It was very different from Level 1, 2A and 2B and this enabled some great development in my thinking.'
'My knowledge of the relevant theory has increased significantly due to the time given to be able to read and reflect over a sustained time. I have been left wanting to know more.'
'Consolidated the ethos and value of P4C in learning in all communities. It has had a deep impact on exploring the meaning of educating children.'
'It has made me reflect on how exciting P4C is when done well and the impact it can have on children/young people and adults.'
Participants must have attended the Level 2B course, including successful completion of the course report, and have been practising P4C regularly for at least two years.
The course costs £750, including accommodation and catering for the three-day residential element of the course.
Successful completion of the Level 3 course and post-course assignment will qualify you for a SAPERE P4C Advanced Facilitator Certificate.
If you are considering applying for SAPERE’s Level 1 trainer pathway, please note:
- Attendance at the Level 3 course and successful completion of the Level 3 assignment is one of the requirements for application to the Level 1 trainer pathway. However, it does not guarantee a place on the trainer pathway.
- We welcome attendance on the Level 3 from people from outside the UK but we are currently only accepting people who are based in and intending to practise in the UK onto the Level 1 trainer pathway. For further information, please consult SAPERE’s international policy.
Our online booking system is temporarily unavailable. To book a course, please call 01865 408333 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, with your contact phone number and the dates of the course you are interested in. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
We are working to fix the issue and apologise for any inconvenience.